Total Pageviews

Saturday, May 19, 2012

Going To See The Elephant



Big times happening this week, started with the eviction of Filmore. I admit I needed the damn thing, but getting rid of it has been a milestone I had been looking forward to.

It imposed limitations on me, real or perceived; there were limitations.  I really hated having to take nourishment that way, but what you going to do if you can’t swallow?

For the last week or so I haven’t used Filmore so it was time to get rid of him.

It took seven needle sticks to get ready, two to draw blood for the lab work, seems like there was a new hire/student that attempted the first stick and missed so the real lab tech showed her how it’s done.

Then the debacle in getting the IV started. First inside the right elbow, then the left, since those didn’t work they tried the back of the hand, first the right then the left. Finally they went back to inside the right elbow and were successful.

I got the bruises to show for it. The IV was necessary as the removal was done under something called twilight anesthesia, I wasn’t out, just on the borderline, vaguely aware of what was going on, sort of.

I can remember hearing the doctor say; let’s deflate the balloon, and then a sharp pull and the sensation of it coming out, sort of like pulling a carrot. It couldn’t have taken more than a few seconds. Got a small gauze bandage covering up the location.

What I’m left with looks like a new belly button, kind of cute.

Just before Filmore was plucked from my belly, they dug out the medi-port. Now that wasn’t as easy.  The sensation was that they were hacking away with a spoon; I swear I heard the scrapping and tearing to go along with the digging in my shoulder.

Feels like they use the chainsaw method, the location is sore like all get out. I do remember the surgeon asking if I wanted to keep it for a souvenir. I declined saying I had no use for it now. Then it was back to la-la land.

The whole procedure from start to finish took about 2 hours and then it was home to sleep off the effects of the drugs.  Finally woke up about 8 PM in time to eat a bite and go back to sleep.

Today was the radiological follow up. The radiological oncologist checked my progress and has ordered the PET scan for July 3rd.  She seems pleased with the progress I am making and said I appear to be on track.

Another of the side effects is my neck is silky smooth, no shaving here. Still feels like it’s slightly sunburned, sort of sensitive, just like me.

Monday I have a follow up with the regular oncologist so I’ll most likely have something new to report back on.

Here are the shirts I wore to these two appointments:




 Still have about 12-15 shirts available, but I need only three. The last three are from the bean counter and Sissy. They are classics so stay tuned for those.


Quote of the day:
“Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid.” 
 John Wayne

Vital stats:
Weight 198
Throat 80%
Blood Pressure 110/78


Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

7 comments:

  1. YEAH!! That's a fantastic report!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good riddance, Filmore! Woohoo!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ok, first, sensitive you are not.

    second, your first belly button was nothing to brag about so don't try to tell us the remnants of filmore are anything approaching good looking.

    third - thats a job well done, jarhead. congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. on a seperate topic, I received Abby's graduation anouncement and picture. The picture of her is just beautiful!

      Delete
  4. Yippee! So glad you have two belly buttons, now you can scare the little nephews and nieces with stories about being an alien!

    ReplyDelete