Total Pageviews

Friday, February 10, 2012

Real Men don’t Swallow

 But for some reason the doctors want to know how well I do.

Jeeze, look at my gut, and you know I don’t have any trouble getting a couple of quarter pounder's down or the odd T-bone every now and then.

Ok, they want a base line because they seem to think I will have decreases abilities later on.  Well they are the experts so off to the hospital and say goodby to another couple of hundred dollars of co-pay and out of pocket money.
Here’s how it went down.  I was asked to consume several different concoctions, all made up of a mixture of barium sulphate.  All in different consistencies and including a pill of the stuff.

As I swallow a series of fluoroscopy images are taken as the crap heads south. We are talking movies here! And I’m not the star, I’m the screen. The fluoroscopic images track the movement of the barium sulphate mixture through the throat and esophagus.

Didn’t take to long and for a reward for being a good sport I got 4 pages of tongue exercises and pharyngeal swallowing exercises.  And they want me to do these things 10 to 20 times after every meal or 3 to 5 times daily.

My tongue and throat is going to be buff after all this. Probably be able to do chin ups with it.  Next on the list,  a valve stem installation.

Oh and another thing – I hate dentists

1 comment: