Total Pageviews

Saturday, February 11, 2012

Who Was that Masked Man?

Talk about weird, I’m getting fitted for a mask.

I’ll have to wear it while I get radiated.

The treatments I am scheduled to get is an external-beam radiation therapy called 3-dimensional conformal radiation therapy (3D-CRT). 3D-CRT uses sophisticated computer software and advanced treatment machines to deliver radiation to very precisely shaped target areas.  Mostly my head.

But in order to be precise about what’s getting nuked, they need to ensure I‘m not flopping about like a fish out of water.  Hence THE MASK.

Sounds dramatic but getting fitted was weird.  I’m laying on the treatment table with my head in the headrest when they picked up a flat sheet of plastic, immersed it in warm water then stretched it tight over my face. About 20 seconds later, I has mask.

I’ll wear it for treatments and they will bolt it down so I am a captive patient. The mask helps keep the head from moving so that I am in the exact same position for each treatment.

The target, AKA charley, is gonna burn, scorched earth policy is in effect.

This image is similar to my mask except I don’t have eye or mouth holes in mine.




Two things:
1. The new watch phrase Laissez les bons temps rouler
2. Have I mentioned my feelings about dentists?

1 comment:

  1. "This image is similar to my mask except I don’t have eye or mouth holes in mine."

    ...and I don't have long hair and boobs.

    Why no holes, they being lazy?

    ReplyDelete